It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours

Post subject: Been a long time.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm 

Hard to believe the last time I posted here was almost 10 years ago. Doesn't look like there's been much in the way of posts over the last couple years. I hope folks are still around. In any case, thought I'd post about my brother and I fishing at Rio Del Mar this morning. I didn't know until just recently that where we fish is actually called "Beer Can Beach" or at least that's what Google Maps calls it. I don't think it was called that back when we fished there as kids in the 70's.

Anyhow, we got there a little less than 2 hours after peak high tide. I don't think conditions could've been any better - other than we quickly realized we had too many layers on. Within 15 minutes I caught my first-ever, ocean-caught striper. It was just a couple inches short of keeper length, but it was exciting nonetheless. Unfortunately, we didn't get a picture because it was rather prolonged struggle to get the hook out and as soon as we did get it out, I wanted to get it back in the surf as fast as I could. It took off like a torpedo as soon as it touched water. That was on a Lucky Craft CIF Flash Minnow.

I was also under the misguided notion that I might have a chance to take a picture of another since I got that one relatively quick. Uh, I don't think so. I actually did not catch ANYTHING after that. In the next 3+ hours, I switched to a carolina rig with Gulp sand worms (1 nibble), then to motor oil perch grubs (missed the lone good strike), sand crabs (zilch), and then back to the lure (missed the one bite).

Meanwhile, my brother was using a fly he had made himself on the end of a carolina rig with a very light sinker and caught 4 BSP's, two of which were ~1.5 pounds.

To add insult to injury, there was a leak in my Hodgman neoprene waders right where the seams meet in the crotch so when I took them off back at the truck, it looked like I had relieved myself in my shorts. I guess I shouldn't complain since those waders date back to at least my last post here in '08. Heh.